Minecraft 1.3.1 update features
Alright so if you don’t know the Minecraft 1.3.1 update was launched today, here’s a list of all the new features that were added to the game.
Updated the launcher
- Includes demo mode. Note: Clicking on demo mode without the game installed will not work, and instead freeze at game updating and not download.
- The “Loading update news” message which appears when the launcher attempts to load the release feed is now styled, rather than the plain html it was prior.
- Minecraft logo updated
Improved overall stability and performance
- Reduced CPU, RAM & bandwidth usage.
- Accelerated chunk loading.
- Decreased lag spike frequency.
- Made the Nether less laggy.
- Decreased unnecessary world updates.
- Made the chat work smoothly even when the server is laggy.
- Decreased packets sent between client and server.
Made Singleplayer internally use a Multiplayer server
- Decreased world saving intervals.
Added optional single-player commands called “Cheats” on non-hardcore worlds
- Type / and then hit tab to autocomplete & get help on various commands
- Most commands from MP are available.
Added option to let LAN friends join SP games
- You can choose which gamemode players join in and whether they are allowed to use cheats.
Added demo mode for non-premium users
- Lasts 5 game days per world.
- Singleplayer only.
Added Chat Settings
- Change which parts of chat are shown and how opaque it is.
- Toggle chat colors, links being clickable and warning prompts for links.
- Option to rebind the command key, which opens the chat with / in the textfield.
Added Snooper Settings
- Allows users to toggle anonymous data being sent to Mojang.
- Shows which data will be sent.
Added video options
- Have to be toggled manually in options.txt for now.
- Vertical Synchronization.
Fullscreen mode can now be enabled at startup.
Mobs can now spawn on top of upside down all slabs and stairs
Improved F3 mode:
- Truncated coordinates to 5 fractional digits.
- The y-coordinate now shows both the feet level and the eye level.
- Removed frame rendering time history graph (bottom-left).
- 3 new values:
- ws: Walking speed (constant)
- fs: Flying speed (constant)
- g: Boolean value, true when you touch the ground
Updated language files
- Added tooltips for all types of Monster Egg blocks and the End Portal Frame.
- Added more descriptive tooltips for different types of tree-related blocks, sandstone and stone bricks.
- Localized server commands.
- Added missing commands-related strings.
- Added missing double chest GUI caption.
Fixed many bugs
- Fixed texture packs in folders not showing their icon and description.
- Fixed Man-in-the-middle attack allowing hackers to log in as you when you visit their server.
- Fixed the Open texturepack folder button not working on OS X.
Added Adventure mode
- Only playable using commands.
- Building, setting things on fire and using buckets is disabled.
- Players can only interact with mobs and the environment.
- Players can place and take stuff from a chest, a furnace or a dispenser.
- Using emerald as currency, villagers will, depending on profession, offer different trades to players.
- There are three kinds of trades: Selling, buying and enchanting.
- As displayed in the top-most part of the trading GUI, villagers take one or more items or item stacks and give back something.
- After trading, villagers will sometimes emit purple particles for a few seconds to indicate that their trades changed.
- Otherwise unobtainable bottles o’ enchanting and chainmail armor can be obtained by trading.
Improved Creative mode inventory
- There are categorized tabs for various groups of items and blocks.
- Added a search tab which will automatically be switched to when the chat key is hit.
- Added survival inventory tab, which shows the full inventory, a ‘Destroy item’ slot, armor slots including a preview of your character and a 2×2 crafting field.
- Items can now be deleted from the inventory by shift-clicking them.
- Added layered snow block, Monster Egg Blocks (Silverfish spawning blocks), Ender Portal frame and all potions.
- Now shows potion effects’ timers like in Survival.
Improved experience collection
- Depending on ore type, experience now drops from ores that drop items.
- Taking smelted items out of furnaces gives experience now.
- Destroying mob spawners gives experience now.
- Adjusted experience level progression:
- Levels 1-15 cost 17 XP points each
- Levels 16-30 cost 3 more XP points than the previous (cost = 17 + (level – 15) * 3)
- Levels 31-∞ cost 7 more XP points than the previous (cost = 62 + (level – 30) * 7)
- The new maximum level with bookshelves is 30, without 8.
- 15 bookshelves are enough to reach level 30.
- The 3rd slot shows the most expensive possible enchantment more often.
- Increased chances for multiple enchantments at once.
- Adjusted enchantments’ to go with the new maximum level.
Added writing in books
- New crafting recipe for books: 3 pieces of paper and one piece of leather in any possible shape.
- New item: Book and Quill – Crafting recipe: 1 ink sac, 1 feather and 1 book in any possible shape.
- Right-click to write on & edit up to 50 pages or read.
- Click ‘Done’ to save the book, ‘Sign’ to choose a title and finalize the book.
- Made entities less likely to glitch through blocks.
- Added automagical downloading of standard sized texture packs when joining servers.
- Made server commands more descriptive.
- Added reason parameter to /ban.
- Added /seed command to show the map seed.
- Added /defaultgamemode command to choose the gamemode new players start in.
- Added /debug command to enable and disable profiling.
- /kick messages can now contain “\n” to force a new line.
- Blocks other players are mining now show cracks.
- /tp can now be used to teleport to specific coordinates.
- Made server list re-orderable: shift+click or shift+arrow keys move selected servers.
- Server list now scans for LAN servers.
- Added hardcore difficulty: Players are banned upon death.
- Connections are now encrypted to prevent eavesdropping.
- Added SRV Record Lookup support
- Different subdomains of one domain can handle different servers via different port numbers.
- Service name should be “minecraft”; i.e. “_minecraft._tcp.example.com”.
Added & changed many minor things
- Individual, stackable items near each other on the ground now become one item stack.
- Added shift clicking support to armor slots, brewing stands & enchantment tables.
- Added setting to disable servers offering you texture packs.
- Made the stars smaller and brighter.
- Villagers spawned from spawn eggs will get a random profession now.
- Removed the downwards knockback while drowning.
- Doors being broken by zombies now show their damage.
- You now spawn with an empty inventory in Creative mode.
- The “Mojang” splash screen when opening the game appears for 1 instead of 3 seconds now.
- The sky color in the End changed.
- Blocks now show cracks when destroying them while the GUI is hidden.
- You can now fall 4 blocks without getting hurt (might be a bug as there exist other, higher distances that don’t cause damage either).
- Respawning in superflat is no longer random.
- Main domain of skin database is now skins.minecraft.net instead of s3.amazonaws.com.
Improved the Pick Block key
- You now get the actual block.
- You can now pick paintings, boats, minecarts and mobs, which will give you their spawn eggs.
- Picking huge mushroom blocks now gives mushrooms.
- You can no longer pick portal blocks.
Fixed many bugs
- Fixed liquids slowing down flying players.
- Fixed blocks with the same id but different data/damage values stacking in Creative inventory.
- Fixed boats & minecarts not being one-hit breakable in Creative.
- Fixed raw fish, dyes, saddles, potions, milk buckets and tools depleting in Creative.
- Fixed water destroying non-solid blocks when breaking them from above.
- Fixed Silk touch giving you only one slab from double slabs.
- Fixed redstone updates not propagating through unloaded chunks.
- Fixed repeaters getting stuck when loading their chunk.
- Fixed tools taking damage when breaking insta-breakable blocks.
- Fixed a few misalignments in the item sprite sheet.
- Fixed the arrow representing players on held maps being offset.
- Fixed being able to duplicate sand, gravel and powered rail.
- Fixed placing a piston in front of another powered, but not extended one resulting in a glitched piston with the head’s texture on all sides.
- Fixed TNT dropping as a resource on creative mode.
- Fixed powering specifically glitched pistons crashing the game.
- Fixed the End Portal Frame block not showing as a block in the inventory.
- Fixed weather not working correctly in certain biomes.
- Fixed Overworld portals above Y=127 not being recognized when leaving the Nether.
- Fixed various hacked mob spawners crashing the game.
- Fixed thrown splash potions not preserving their type when reloading the world.
Fixed many Multiplayer-specific bugs
- Fixed arrows scooting up to the top of the block they were shot on.
- Fixed endermen not opening their jaws.
- Fixed fully charged arrows not showing their particle effect.
- Fixed many sounds not playing.
- Fixed magma cubes’ and slimes’ jumping animations not showing.
- Fixed thunderstorms not darkening the sky.
- Fixed weather not fading in or out.
- Fixed enchanted armor and tools not glowing to other players.
- Fixed explosions not pushing players back.
- Fixed TNT not knocking back players.
- Fixed pistons not pushing back players.
- Fixed players on minecarts, boats or pigs and spider jockeys not being displayed in the correct location.
- Fixed glitchy mob prediction.
- Fixed fishing lines not showing.
- Fixed sneaking players’ nameplates not staying hidden when loading the chunks they are in.
- Fixed Unbreaking-enchanted tools sometimes breaking and then re-appearing a few times.
- Fixed potion effects losing their graphical effects when traveling between dimensions.
- Fixed blocks disappearing when placing them under yourself and jumping.
Made sub-biome type mountains like Desert Hills or Ice Mountains taller
Made cocoa beans appear on some small jungle trees
Added optional starting chest on non-hardcore worlds
- Contents: wooden & stone tools, bread, apples, logs, planks and sticks
Added large biomes world type, increasing biome sizes immensely
- Beaches look closely to what they looked like in Beta 1.7.3.
Added desert-specific villages
Added Desert Temples
- Built out of various kinds of sandstone and wool.
- Include hidden chest room and TNT trap, with loot including rotten flesh, bones, iron ingots and gold ingots, diamonds and emeralds.
Added Jungle Temples
- Built out of various kinds of cobblestone.
- Contain multiple tripwire traps triggering dispensers filled with arrows.
- Loot chests include bones, rotten flesh, gold ingots, iron ingots, diamonds and emeralds.
Added Emerald Ore
- Only generates in Extreme Hills biomes.
- Occurs up to 8 times per chunk in veins of 1.
- Generates between layers 4 and 31, inclusive.
Blocks & Items
- Drops Emerald.
- Is used to trade with villagers
Block of Emerald
- Crafted by putting 9 emeralds on a crafting table.
- Crafted by surrounding an eye of ender with 8 pieces of obsidian.
- Stores each player’s contents across dimensions and all Ender Chests.
- Contents are preserved even if all Ender Chests are destroyed.
- Emits light and purple particles.
- Unless mined using a Silk Touch-enchanted pickaxe, they drop 8 obsidian.
- String in between needs to be placed manually.
- Breaking the string triggers a redstone signal, cutting it using shears doesn’t.
- Entities like boats, mobs, arrows or players touching the string trigger a redstone signal.
- String can be up to 40 blocks long.
- Crafting recipe: Iron ingot on top of a stick on top of a wooden plank.
- Can now be placed on the ground decoratively.
- Can now be placed in 3 different directions.
- Placement works like similar to piston placement.
- Can be fueled by wooden tools now.
- Return an empty bucket when using lava buckets as fuel now.
- Instead of melting in the nether, it now disappears.
- Can be obtained using Silk Touch-enchanted gear now.
- Can be obtained using Silk Touch-enchanted gear now.
- Leaks into the Overworld now: Depending on difficulty, zombie pigmen rarely spawn in them.
- Added all wood types.
- Wooden slabs crafted after the update act like wood.
- Added Sandstone Stairs.
- Added wooden stairs for all kinds of wood.
- Adjusted hitbox.
Slabs and Stairs
- Will now be placed upside-down when placed on the upper half of a block’s side.
- When placed upside down, rails, pressure plates, levers, doors, torches, redstone torches, repeaters, redstone dust and beds can be placed on them – Redstone dust behaves like on glowstone – It transmits power horizontally and upwards, but not downwards. Redstone torches don’t power redstone placed on slabs/stairs above them.
- Water slowly drips through them when it’s raining.
- Slowly fill up when it’s raining.
- Minecarts & boats will now be placed if there’s rails/water in place.
- Instead of dispensing buckets, dispensers will now suck in or place water or lava in front of them.
- Changed texture
- Have a 1/200 chance to drop a cocoa bean when destroyed now.
- Can be placed on the underside of blocks now.
Wooden Pressure Plates
- Can be triggered by arrows now.
- Now take 2 redstone ticks (4 game ticks) seconds to expand.
- Depending on difficulty, does different amounts of damage now:
- Peaceful: no damage
- Easy: 1/2 less damage
- Normal: same damage as before
- Hard: 1/3 more damage.
- Retextured item.
- Can be planted & grown on jungle wood now.
- Can be grown instantly using bone meal.
- Give a full hunger point now.
- Can now be grown in the Overworld and in the End.
- Changed crafting recipe: 3 pieces of paper and one piece of leather in any possible shape.
Book and Quill
- Crafting recipe: 1 ink sac, 1 feather and 1 book in any possible shape.
- Can only be obtained by signing a Book and Quill.
- Can be sold to villagers.
- Stack up to 16 now.
- Stacked buckets work just like stacked glass bottles do.
- Stack up to 16 now.
- Crafting now gives 3 signs instead of 1.
- Has two crafting recipes now, the new one replacing gold nuggets with gold blocks.
- Second tier gives Regeneration IV, Resistance and Fire resistance effects.
- Only second tier glows like enchanted tools.
- Has attributes the Golden Apple had before 1.1.
- Added NBT tags to further customize spawned mobs.
- Only changeable using map editors or mods.
- Are not broken by lilypads anymore, instead they run straight through the lilypad now, breaking and sometimes dropping it.
- Are less glitchy and more responsive now.
- Increased maximum speed.
- When exiting, players will be moved from the boat.
- When broken by a player, they drop a boat now.
- When on rails, they can be accelerated a bit while sitting in them.
- When exiting, players will be moved from the minecart.
- Drop 1-3 porkchops now.
- Reduced spawn rate in superflat maps.
- When suffering from poison potions, they will now spawn more silverfish from nearby silverfish blocks more often.
- Increased knockback effect.
- Depending on difficulty, they do more damage now:
- Easy: ~50% less damage
- Normal: same damage as before
- Hard: 33.3…% more damage.
Creepers & Spiders
- Become aggressive towards the last mob or player that hit them now
Skeletons, Creepers & Zombies
- Become neutral against players again a few seconds after being hit in Creative.